Several prominent figures within the construction industry have been included in the Queen’s 2015 New Year’s Honours List.
Paul Sheffield, former chief executive of Kier and now serving as managing director of Laing O’Rourke’s European Hub; Stephen Fox, chief executive of BAM Nuttall; and Costain’s chief executive Andrew Wyllie were all awarded CBEs.
Among those also recognised were Keith Exford, chief executive of Affinity Sutton Group for services to housing in London; Jane Wernick of Jane Wernick Associates for services to structural and civil engineering; and John Quinlan Terry for services to classical architecture.
From the health and safety sector, Jason Anker was awarded an OBE for his work promoting health and safety in the construction industry, as was deputy chief executive of the HSE, Kevin Myers.
“It is a real honour and privilege to be recognised in this way. I see it as much as recognition of the important work of HSE as me personally. I’m pleased that awareness and standards of safety and health have improved so much over the years. But there’s still much to be done – we need to get people to focus on real health and safety issues rather than the urban ?elf ?n safety myths proliferated in some quarters.”
Liz Male, non-executive chair of government-endorsed standards agency TrustMark, was also given an MBE for her work in consumer protection and construction.
Other OBE recipients included:
– Cecil Balmond, former Arup deputy chairman, for services to architecture.
– Rodney Bennion, former chair of Trustees Construction Youth Trust, for services to construction training and the community in the South East.
– Charlie Mullins, founder and chief executive of Pimlico Plumbers.
– Albert Palmer, honorary secretary of the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors, for services to construction.
– Ann-Marie Smale for services to construction education and training in Wales.
– Timothy Webber, managing director of Barnfield Construction, for services to business and the community in Lancashire.
To view the full New Year’s Honours List 2015, click here